In this article you will learn about the hydraulic motor and the applications of the hydraulic motors.
The Final Element in Power Train – Hydraulic Motor
Just as the electric motor is the final element in the electrical cycle consisting of generator, transmission line transformers, and final element electric motors. You can have the same the same train in hydraulic systems Wiz hydraulic pumps, accumulators, oil lines and final element is hydraulic motor.
Components of Hydraulic Motors
Depending on whether the motor is a reciprocating one or the rotary type, the components of the motor can change to a great extent. In case of a reciprocating hydraulic motor, the components can be a piston and crankshaft & on the rotating motor the components can be a set of blades on which the oil from the reservoir can impinge and start rotating the motor.
The seals and the piston rings seal the exit of any oil outside the system. The bearings on which the crankshaft or the final rotating shaft rotates make sure that the movement of the shaft is smooth. The valves direct the oil as per the requirement of the system and keep the system under control as per the requirement of the operator.
Use of Hydraulic Motors
The hydraulic motors are used where the electric motors cannot be used for some reasons. The reasons may be that of safety or avoidance of electromagnetic induction in some of the circuits where such induction can have undesirable results.
Some Examples of Use of Hydraulic Motors
Hydraulic motors are being used in the following areas
1. In operating radar, hydraulic motor is necessary so as to avoid the electric interference from the electric motor.
2. In gun turrets where the accurate control of the gun turrets is necessary and precise adjustments can be done easily with the help of a hydraulic motor. The precise control of gun azimuth is possible with hydraulic motor rather than the electric motor.
3. It is used for bringing the wheels of landing gear of plane so that on touch down the landing wheels have the same speed as that of the plane and the landing shock is reduced. This increases the life of tires of the plane.
4. It is used in winch and cranes where the precise control of crane is required and it cannot be achieved safely with the help of electric motors.
5. In helicopters it is used for winching operation for lifting the stranded personnel, or casualties that require careful handling and the access is difficult.
6. In some of the off terrain vehicles it is used for control of each wheel independently, particularly in places that require precise control due to the nature of the terrain.
7. It is also used in high end and experimental cars to give independent wheel drive to all the wheels.
So you can se that a hydraulic motor has many uses. It is primarily used in places where the electric motors cannot be used because of the induction it causes or where the precise control of speed is required for the operation of equipment. The control of speed is better with a hydraulic motor compared to an electric motor. It is also used where a high torque is required in a short time.